cPanel is the best-known, most reliable and intuitive control panel for web hosting services. It is feature rich and can be used with a powerful graphical user interface to manage all shared, dealer services and more.
It comes with a cPanel and Web Host Manager (WHM) that facilitates web hosting for webmasters:
- WHM provides root and vendor level access interface where users can manage settings related to server management and account management.
- CPanel offers a user-level access interface for managing a web hosting account on the server.
Features of CPanel / WHM
- An intuitive and powerful interface to control your server with WHM.
- It supports free SSL certificates.
- Supports API Authentication Tokens.
- It now offers AutoSSL, which supports Proxy Subdomains.
- Lets you view the SSL Status in CPanel.
- It supports operations such as backups, migrations and restorations very easily and smoothly.
- It supports excellent DNS and mail server management for the main server and client account.
- It supports management (start / stop / enable / disable) of services on the server.
- Allows you to configure SSL / TLS for all server services and client domains.
- Easy integration with phpmyadmin manages your MySQL databases from the web browser.
- It supports re-branding.
- It allows integration with WHMCS to automate invoice management and more.
In this article, we will explain how to install cPanel and WHM on RHEL / CentOS 7 and how to handle initial configurations to manage cPanel and WHM.
- Clean and minimal installation of the CentOS 7 server.
- Minimum 1 GB of RAM (but 2 GB recommended).
- At least 20GB of free disk space (however 40GB is recommended).
- A valid cPanel license.
- Standard host name (FQDN or Fully Qualified Domain Name)
Before proceeding to the installation section, you need to note them:
- When you install CPanel / WHM, it cannot be removed from your system. You will need to reinstall your operating system to uninstall.
- cPanel is commercial software and requires a license to run, but it has a 15-day trial period (this is automatically activated after installing cPanel), you can install the software using the trial version and then purchase the software.
Installing cPanel on CentOS 7
Make sure your server has a standard host name (FQDN or Fully Qualified Domain Name), otherwise set it as follows (in this example, cpanel is the host name and tecmint.lan is the domain name):
# hostnamectl set-hostname cpanel.tecmint.lan
cPanel is written in Perl, make sure that Perl is installed on your server, in other cases, run the command below to install it on your system.
# yum install perl
You don’t need to run any commands to install, there is an autoloader script created for you. All you have to do is download the cPanel installer script with the cURL command, if you haven’t installed the cURL command, install it first.
# yum install curl
Then download the latest installer script to the home directory.
# curl -o latest -L https://securedownloads.cpanel.net/latest
Now run the auto installer script. If you are logged into the server using SSH, we strongly recommend that you run the cPanel auto installer script in screen mode, because it takes 40-60 minutes to complete the installation, depending on your server’s resources and Internet connection speeds.
# sh latest
Verifying archive integrity... All good. Uncompressing cPanel & WHM Installer..... ____ _ ___| _ \ __ _ _ __ ___| | / __| |_) / _` | '_ \ / _ \ | | (__| __/ (_| | | | | __/ | \___|_| \__,_|_| |_|\___|_| Installer Version v00061 r019cb5809ce1f2644bbf195d18f15f513a4f5263 Beginning main installation. 2017-03-04 04:52:33 720 ( INFO): cPanel & WHM installation started at: Sat Mar 4 04:52:33 2017! 2017-03-04 04:52:33 721 ( INFO): This installation will require 20-50 minutes, depending on your hardware. 2017-03-04 04:52:33 722 ( INFO): Now is the time to go get another cup of coffee/jolt. 2017-03-04 04:52:33 723 ( INFO): The install will log to the /var/log/cpanel-install.log file. 2017-03-04 04:52:33 724 ( INFO): 2017-03-04 04:52:33 725 ( INFO): Beginning Installation v3... 2017-03-04 04:52:33 428 ( INFO): CentOS 6 (Linux) detected! 2017-03-04 04:52:33 444 ( INFO): Checking RAM now... 2017-03-04 04:52:33 233 ( WARN): 2017-03-04 04:52:33 233 ( WARN): To take full advantage of all of cPanel & WHM's features, 2017-03-04 04:52:33 233 ( WARN): such as multiple SSL certificates on a single IPv4 Address 2017-03-04 04:52:33 233 ( WARN): and significantly improved performance and startup times, 2017-03-04 04:52:33 233 ( WARN): we highly recommend that you use CentOS version 7. 2017-03-04 04:52:33 233 ( WARN): 2017-03-04 04:52:33 233 ( WARN): Installation will begin in 5 seconds.
At this point, sit back and relax, perhaps grab yourself a cup of coffee while waiting for the cPanel installer script to complete the setup.
How the Auto cPanel Installer Script Works?
Note that CPanel will drastically change your operating system, and the automatic setup script works like this:
- It examines various packages and finds any package conflicts to ensure that there are no conflicts, updates and removes previous packages with yum cPanel on Fresh OS.
- It also downloads language and basic files for installation.
- It installs various Perl modules and other required packages with yum over CPAN.
- It downloads and compiles PHP and Apache with various modules.
When the installation is complete, you will see the following output. You may be prompted to restart the server after installation.
After that, you need to complete the setup wizard from its web-based interface and you can access WHM with the following URL:
http: // server_IP: 2087
Now login with your user “root” and password ..